Sunday, November 14, 2010

Halloween and "Going Outside the Wire".

Alright, I know it has been awhile since my last post.  I apologize and I'll try to make up for it by posting as many pictures as I can :)

HALLOWEEN:
I had a great costume for Halloween, I went as a US Soldier complete with Army Combat Uniform, boots and authentic M4 Weapon.  It was very realistic.  The TMC (Troop Medical Clinic) got into the Halloween spirit and was decked out for a good part of October.  Kalsu held a Halloween contest and talent show on Halloween.  I did my part to try and give away as much candy as possible that y'all have been sending me.  Now we are trying to get the clinic and CHUs decorated for Thanksgiving.

My First Trip!
I went on my first trip 'Outside the Wire' at the beginning of November.  I visited COS Echo, south of us, to see patients there.  I tried my hardest to get a helicopter flight out and back but it didn't work out.  Instead I went on my 1st convoy in Iraq.  It ended up going pretty well.  We traveled in MRAPs (Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicles).  This is colossal beast of a vehicle built to withstand IEDs and it does its job very well.  The doors alone probably weigh 300lbs because of the armored plating.  I had a good time at Echo.  A good group of people works out the TMC there.  It was good to get out of the house as I like to say.  I ended up evaluating 25 people over 3 days, so I was pretty busy.  I will start visiting Echo on a monthly basis.

Our TMC will be moving into a new building this month!  This building has been completed for sometime but red tape and good ole government inefficiency has prevented us from moving into the clinic until now.  The best part, I get to move out of my tent clinic into a 'real building'.  By real building I mean instead of a tent with a concrete floor, I will now reside in wooden building with a concrete floor.  Hopefully it will do a better job of keeping the dust, sand, and critters out.  We had 2 kills this week in the clinic.  2 mice lost their lives to our mouse traps that Larry "The Vector Guy" stratigically placed.

I would like to thank everyone once again for keeping me and those I work with in your prayers.  I receive letters and care packages from family, friends, and people I've never even met just about every week.  The care packages have been great!  I keep some things for myself and usually give the rest away to Soldiers in my troop.

-Nicole 


Here I am with one of the medics at COS Echo.

They put up signs in all the Chu areas of different cities around FT Hood to make it feel a little more like home.

Many a conversation has been started based off my nameplate. Not too many Jayhawk fans out here.

This a picture of a re-enlistment of one of our Medical Troop Soldiers.

This is an example of making do with what you got.  This Soldier's toes were crushed by an Armored plate.  There is a special shoe that would help protect his foot...but we don't have any here.  This is how we emprovised. 

I cut out the top of part of his shoe then added shoe insert longer than his shoe and reinforced it w/ thermoplast to protect his toes so he wouldn't keep running into things with his toes.

I reside in 'Harker Heights'!

Getting into the Halloween spirit.  Thanks 'Kraver' Family for the themed nail polish.

This was my Halloween costume, I know a little lame but you got work with what you got.

One of Our X-ray techs getting into the Halloween Spirit.


This hat has been dubbed the official birthday hat for Medical Troop.

This is my 'cousin', a medic who shares my last name.



Getting ready for my big trip.  This is the weapon the gunner uses.

A shot an MRAP.

Time to get on our gear and go.

This me in 'full battle rattle'.  Thats with my body armor, army combat helmet, too much ammo, M4, ballistic eyewear, and complete w/ elbow and knee pads.

I was really excited to find some Jayhawk fans at Echo.  The Medevac unit is from Kansas and Colorado.

Here is a shot of the Lobby in the TMC at Echo.

Outside Echo TMC.

Go TEXAS!! This was also at Echo outside the DFAC.  The Houston sign was the one of the only (if not the only) signs supporting a state and not a country.

The BlackHawk Helicopter at Echo.

6 comments:

  1. I love all your pictures..especially your toes!
    We are all looking forward to seeing you when you get your leave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,

    Thanks for the update, I love your "improv" work, something you would likely not experience in the "real world"


    We had fun at the marathon yesterday, but I missed my running partner! We are already making plans for the R 'n' R "reunion tour" next year, even Mom is planning to run. I hpoe you realize the number of people you have inspired!

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, What an awesome post! Definitely worth waiting for. So happy your toes got to be halloweenie!!! Looks like you're turning into a real McGuver (SNL version) "making due" with what you've got to treat soldiers. Sounds like you've met some fun folks and you guys do a good job keeping each others' spirits up. Your spirit was with all of us on Sunday. You should be so proud of your Dad. He ran so strong and confident. Piece of cake! Sean and Dustin were hilarious as usual. Paige had a great time with Kelli Sampson. I took it slow and steady. It was hard! My hat is even more off to all of you who do it really well now that I know what it is all about. I definitely am ready to do it again next year, when you're with us. We've even planned our outfits as our tribute to you! I thought I would be in worse shape today, but I feel pretty good. Low on energy and a little sore, but nothing horrible. We love you so much and pray, pray, pray for you! God is good all the time! Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your shoe creation is awesome.

    Those armored vehicles look gigantic.

    I can't believe how much KU related material you continue to see overseas.

    I signed you up for a marathon for January 10th, 2011 so you better be ready when you get back!.....Jk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures. Glad to see you seem to be having lots of fun and new experiences. Can't wait to see and talk to you when you get back! Until then take care! Thinking and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is AWESOME to come across. These guys patched me up while at FOB ECHO

    ReplyDelete