Friday, August 20, 2010

Stetson part 2 and going to the Range

STETSON PART II: I bought my stetson last Friday.  I went to a place on post that squared me away and even  put on the pins and steamed the hat for me to be the right shape. Now I can fit in with 3d ACR...and yes they do take their stetson's with them on deployment.
On the front of the hat is my rank, crossed sabers to signify calvary with a 3 for 3d ACR.  The black and gold tassels signify I'm an officer.  On the back of the stetson is a pin showing the unit's crest. 

THE RANGE: Contrary to popular belief, physical therapists in the army don't get to go to the range very often.   Usually it's fun to go...it wasn't quite as fun this time around.  I had to qualify with my M4  in 100 deg heat while wearing my kevlar helmet and body armor.  Lets just say it got a little steamy.  It took me 2 frustrating days to zero my weapon then qualify. I had to keep telling myself  that this will help me get acclimated to Iraq.   To zero your weapon you have to shoot at a sillouhette 25 meters away and manage to get 5 consecutive shots center mass.  Center mass in this case is a circular area within the sillouhette about the size of  a silver dollar. To accomplish this task you have to concentrate on your breathing, how you pull the trigger, site picture, where you place your weapon on your shoulder, where you place your head to look through the site, and how you position your body.  It's a lot of things going on that has to be replicated every time in order to be accurate enough to keep a tight shot group.  Thankfully I had a SGT coaching me well enough to be successful.
M4 (I didn't have a scope on mine)

DEPLOYMENT TIME: I found out I will be leaving in a little bit less than a week!  The count down begins.  Right now I'm scrambling around trying to get things done before I go. We will be taking our weapons with us on the plane...I wonder if anyone will try to put their weapon in the overhead.  It should be an interesting flight sitting with an M4 in my lap.

That's all I have for now.  Thanks for all the great comments and support.  I promise I'll post a list within the next couple of days of ideas of what to send for care packages.

-Nicole :)

5 comments:

  1. Okay.. Did the Army pay you a bonus to make
    a fashion statement with your
    Stetson? You look so beautiful
    in your hat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NickiCoco' We are all so proud of you. Just remember how greatly you are loved. Best love from Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole: Just a reminder that here in Rockwall, TX, we're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blog! Peter and I will be thinking about you and we cannot wait to hear how it all goes! Thanks for keeping us updated and good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best hat ever!!! Work it gurl! uh..i mean Captain! :)

    ReplyDelete